ELECTION 2013: To Vote or not to Vote?



Warning: This entry contains more questions than answers.

What does “vote responsibly” actually mean? Does it mean being a responsible citizen and vote for the sake of voting or being a responsible citizen and vote for the right candidates?

That is where my problem lies--- who exactly are the right candidates?

I’ve been a registered voter for 8 years now. I will admit that I didn’t have this much predicament in the past--- which names I will write in my ballot. For the previous elections, I have always seen a couple of candidates who were sincere enough and have that desire to serve the nation. They had been enough for me. I wasn’t satisfied, but at least a couple of candidates with good intentions are better than none. At least we have a David to fight a Goliath—a small chance, but a chance nevertheless. The upcoming elections should’ve awakened that tiny hope deep within me--- that we will have another batch of politicians who can truly serve the nation and uplift our way of life; that we will have another set of leaders who will not just rule but become true servant-leaders— but no; the upcoming election is giving me the creeps. I feel like I was about to take my final exams before graduation and I haven’t reviewed. Will I just trust my stock knowledge or leave my test paper blank?

Trust. A big word just like love. Whom should I trust? I couldn’t even find one candidate who has that sincerity to serve the nation. Influence is one thing and I don’t care about that. I’m looking for that sincerity-- because it’s in that sincerity to serve the nation where small, but good and attainable plans could start. Plans that can, albeit gradually, change the Philippines for the better. Small steps are enough as long as the assurance is there that destination will be reached. I’d rather see the Philippines move their way slowly to the top than listen to empty promises saying they will immediately bring the nation to its pinnacle when all it has reached was the ground where it started.

The Promises. I’ve been hearing the same promises again. Let me tackle them one by one, okay?

Education. I graduated from the UP Manila last 2008 with the tuition of almost 6,000 per semester. I had been lucky not to be covered by the 300% tuition fee increase per unit or else maybe I wouldn’t have been able to finish college. Yes, maybe, because I know my parents wouldn’t have stopped finding ways just to let me finish my studies.

Years passed, I had jobs, my family’s lifestyle had vastly improved, and we’re doing quite well, but what happened to the education budget? It didn’t get better. If it did, STFAP would’ve been abolished and UP’s tuition will go back to how it’s supposed to be--- free for those who need quality education. And this doesn’t just apply to UP; this is also happening to other state universities.

Edwin Lacierda had mentioned in a speech related to Kristel Tejada’s death that the budget for state universities and colleges was increased last year. Let’s say this is true, but is it enough? I think the answer is clear. IT ISN’T. Education is a right and will always be a right.

On to the next one--- Employment. Statistics from the government, once again, always say that the employment rate vastly improved. But again, where is the proof; where are the proofs? The tambays in every corner of the neighborhood, watching passersby and hoot-calling? The drunkards causing chaos at every sari sari store because they let alcohol consume their brain cells? The growing population particularly in the lower classes? Or maybe it’s the increase in crime rates? Are those indications of the rise in employment rate? So many questions, so many vague answers. So many palusot coming from the mouths of the supposed alleviators of the causes of poverty. 

Ah. This next one’s good--- public roads, highways, and anything related to public transportation. Every time there is an upcoming election, road repairs are suddenly as common as tambays. After election, road repairs still remain as road repairs until the next election. What to say, what to say?

How about the increase in fares? Let’s make MRT as an example. Soon, they say, MRT’s fares will increase. I, as one of those commuters who use MRT for convenience, hope to feel that convenience a couple of months after the fares increase.  By the way, I am also still waiting for those new trains.

Let’s see--- Education budget increase + High employment rate + Improvement and repairs in Infrastructures should be equal to economic improvement.

Did our economy improve? Can you feel it?

Ah. More questions.

The government keeps saying the economy had vastly improved. Again. Let’s say this is true, but how should we know? Who should feel this improvement first? The members of the upper echelon of the society whose definition of poverty is a drop in the stock market? Because I, who belongs to the middle class level, am not feeling any improvement, what more those who are of a lower class?

Now, now--- which names to put in the ballot?

See, that’s still my problem. Every time I see an ad of any of the candidates, I cringe. My mind keeps shouting “Plastik! Plastik!”. Every television ad, every poster, every radio ad--- all of these just add to my doubts. The contest nowadays seemed based on a longer, catchier, therefore more effective ad—it became a contest among ad agencies and not anymore among the candidates and their dedication to the positions they applied for.

Ah. What a long tirade. And I find I still haven’t answered my own question. Should I vote for the sake of voting or should I be true to myself and just stay at home and wait for the winners who will probably just win out of popularity than out of the services done for the country?

To tell you all the truth, I'm still reluctant to vote. Why? Because I’m afraid that once I put the name of a candidate I don’t trust in that ballot, the future of the Philippines will be as full as my current (draft) list of deserving candidates (at least for me).

An empty piece of paper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OF OBLATION MYTHS, SABLAY, PLUS A NOSTALGIC ALUMNA

A Tribute To The Moffatts Part 1: My All-Time Favorite Band

I Ship Dramione