Why Tokyo's Making Me Experience Reverse Culture Shock Depression -- Day 3

DAY 3—Wednesday--- November 12. 2014
Omotesando, Harajuku, Takeshita Dori, Meiji-jingu, Yoyogi Stadium, Yoyogi Park, NHK Studios, Hachiko, Shibuya

Wednesday was a challenge. I researched beforehand and knew that the places we were to visit were just walking distance from each other, but I didn’t expect it to be that… er… distant.

We started the day early—we left around 7 am. I learned my lesson and geared up for the morning coldness. I still didn’t wear a wool hat, but at least I had my layers and a scarf. And I was glad because it was particularly colder that morning.

We walked towards Miyamasuzaka Shita Crossing and turned right towards the Meiji Dori Avenue. From there, we started our long day.

There were already a number of people on the streets and majority of them were in a hurry even though it’s just barely past 7 and I heard office starts mostly at 9 am. Still, Japanese Time habit is indeed so different from Filipino Time habit. The four of us made sure to walk on the left side so we won’t bother those who were in a hurry.



There weren’t a lot of stores opened at the time except for Starbucks, but it was still a pretty sight because the streets were so clean and there were interesting things to see. You can see a huge Forever 21 store beside a huge H & M store. There were a lot of other foreign brands we saw as we walked along the avenue.












I was a bit disappointed because Harajuku St.’s shops were still closed. I was wallowing so much in my disappointment that I didn’t even look at the other side—Togo Shrine was located there. GAH.

So we walked back halfway to Tokyu Plaza and crossed the intersection (right) leading to Meiji-jingu. (If we hadn’t crossed and turned left, it will lead to Omotesando Hills, Kiddy Land, and the Oriental Bazaar). It was still a long walk from the intersection. We rested a bit at a small island park before crossing the streets towards Meiji Temple (Note to those who haven’t been there: There’s no entrance fee)

MEIJI TEMPLE

There was a huge torii gate in front where tourists flocked to have their photos taken (which was actually the first torii gate—there’s another one inside--- a kilometer away from the temple itself).




The journey to the temple was a bit rocky--- literally and figuratively. We walked on small stones, which didn’t help our feet (believe me) and even though it’s colder in Disneyland than in Meiji, we had foggy breaths. We can see wisps of cold smoke coming out of our mouths.



Halfway to the temple, you will see a small establishment on the right where souvenir shops and restaurants were located. Along the path towards the temple, there was a display of huge sake barrels.




The second torii gate was about 200-300 meters away from the establishment. Upon entering the second torii gate, we've seen an exhibit of Japanese plants and flowers. I am not sure whether there’s still an exhibit during other seasons --- probably not in winter and in summer.




Before entering the temple (there’s a third torii gate), a ritual needed to be performed. One has to cleanse the hands and the mouth in order to be worthy of entering the temple and to be reverential.





It was my first time to experience paying respects to a temple. The temple in Macau didn’t have the same ritual. There were guards stationed at the innermost temple as the visitors pay respect. There’s an instruction on how to pay respect by the temple so you need not worry about doing it wrong. Just remember that it’s a sacred place--- a place of respect, humility, and solemnity—and you will do fine.



By the side of the temple, there were the wooden blocks where you can write your wish and the blocks will be hanged in there. It was 500 yen apiece if I remember it correctly. But you can also just write your wish or your prayer in a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope along with a donation. They have a wooden box for them. There’s a ritual where they will be offered.




You can buy charms right outside the main temple---a charm for good luck, love, good health, and many others.



Before trekking Yoyoki Park, we stopped by the small establishment for lunch. And it’s the first time I’ve tasted seaweed soba--- it tasted really good! And I was able to buy a kimono for just 6,780 yen!




YOYOGI PARK

Among all the places we’re visiting. Yoyogi Park was the one I was most excited with. We have very few parks in Metro Manila—the most famous and most common is Rizal Park--- but it is located beside one of the busiest avenues in Metro Manila where pollution and heavy traffic are constant, probably affecting the park to “bloom as a magnificent park”.

I’ve seen Yoyogi Park in Japanese TV shows. Recently, I’ve seen its beauty through a Shounen Club Premium episode. The famous JE Idol Group, KAT-TUN hosts it and the first episode was shot from inside the park all the way to NHK studios, which was just across from the park.

Since it was autumn when we visited it, the park was at its most beautiful. The colors of the leaves have varying colors of red, orange, green, and yellow.

















It was like a place in a fairytale.

The park was huge and you can definitely step on the grass. There was a place for bird watching, but birds make me uncomfortable so I didn’t go there. There was also a beautiful lake with fountains. Ah, it was paradise for a writer! If we didn’t have limited time, I was so very tempted to just sit on the fallen leaves and write until it was dark. Or maybe by the benches near the lake.










Oh. And there were crows everywhere! They won’t attack you, but they fly near your heads. They flew near my family, but they never went near me. They probably recognized their master-- *cough* Maleficent *cough*. Sorry, can’t resist. xD



I truly didn’t want to leave. When I go back there next year, I’ll set aside two days in Yoyogi Park just so I can write.

Yoyogi Stadium was just across Yoyogi Park, almost beside NHK studios. It was huge and its dome architecture was exquisite. We did not go inside though. Seeing its magnificence nearby was enough.



NHK STUDIOS and NHK PARK

We crossed a bridge (lined with beautiful autumn trees) towards the NHK grounds. 




Upon arriving at the other side, we decided to rest in a store where ice cream was being sold. I “chatted” with the very kind (here I go again) girl staff (yes, I was finally able to use some Nihongo skills though our 30-second conversation merely revolved around ordering ice cream and talking about how delicious it was). YES--- the maccha ice cream was delicious!



It was only for a few minutes when salary men crowded the store for their late lunch so my brother and I decided to walk towards NHK studios. We stopped halfway (won’t elaborate why) so I just had my photo taken beside its side building (which wasn’t even the main building. GRRR). I truly refuse to elaborate because this was still a sore subject for me. NHK was one of the reasons I loved the itinerary for this day, but I wasn’t able to see its full glory or--- gah. Stop.





So we treaded our way back to Harajuku to find Takeshita Dori, which according to research, is where teenagers hang out for fashion, JPop merchandise, and food.

TAKESHITA DORI

Takeshita Dori is a strip of street a few meters after JR Harajuku Station.




It was full of people--- foreigners and locals alike--- but the majority were high school students.

Clothing shops (including cosplay shops), shoe stands, jewelry stores, bag shops, tattoo shops, JE (Johnny’s Entertainment) Shops where Idol merchandise can be purchased and where I was tempted to go (I need my 赤亀 or just my亀 fix), crepe stands, candy stands, and the 100-yen shop (Daiso) lined the street.






In short, Takeshita Dori is a shopping haven even for those with a tight budget since the shops cater to teenagers the most.

HACHIKO

Who could forget the famous dog whose loyalty to his master was admirable, touching the hearts of people? It’s located just across Starbucks in Shibuya Crossing and right in front of Shibuya Station where, during that time, there was a huge billboard of Kanjani8 (Ryo-chan!!!!!).




Though I guess since Hachiko’s a constant figure in the lives of the locals, the area surrounding him has become a smoking area.

SHIBUYA… AGAIN.

Come on--- it's Shibuya! We never got tired of Shibuya at night--- there are just so many things to see, people (fashionable or not) to observe, streets to explore. Walking around at night has been one of the highlights of our vacation. It’s actually the reason why I chose to stay in Shibuya—it’s a city that’s most beautiful at night.

Link to Day 2:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OF OBLATION MYTHS, SABLAY, PLUS A NOSTALGIC ALUMNA

A Tribute To The Moffatts Part 1: My All-Time Favorite Band

I Ship Dramione